Friday, October 16, 2009

Crispy Sweet and Sour Seitan

One of the first recipes I ever tried from VeganYumYum blog was Crispy Sweet and Sour Seitan, and to this day it's one of our favorite meals. I don't make it often because it's fried, but every now and then doesn't hurt. The seitan is coated in corn starch, so when fried it gets really crispy. You then coat the seitan in a rich and delicious sweet and sour sauce.

The recipe doesn't call for it, but I usually add shitake mushrooms in with the seitan and fry them up the same way. I also stir fry some sweet onion and then toss in the fried seitan and shitake before coating with the sauce. Anyway you make it, it's a yummy treat.

Some of my other favorite recipes from VYY blog are:

Super Quick Tomato Basil Cream Pasta
: Raw cashews and tomato paste form the base for a quick and yummy pasta.

Pot Stickers: The filling for these is to die for.

Mac and Cheese. Cheeze. Yeast? : So rich, comfy, and satisfying.

Yucatan Seitan: I make this on the BBQ in summer.

and

Miniature Napoleons with Eggplant Creme: Needless to say, mine have never turned out quite so pretty.

Thank you VeganYumYum for the great recipes!

6 comments:

  1. Rose,

    Sounds yummy! We like fried stuff too, probably too much. I agree with you that it shouldn't hurt from a health perspective to have it every once in a while.

    Dan and I aren't as good with moderation as you are. The problem for us isn't the fried food it is our resolve, one step and we are down the slippery slope (if you know what I mean). We try to have the less healthy food when we are out so that when we leave the restaurant, the access to the food is gone. It is the only thing that seems to work for us. Such a shame grown adults have so little self control. But as they say acknowledging the problem is the first step to solving it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to know our limitations, but I'm sure you're too hard on yourself. You are a daily inspiration to me to eat healthy, but I don't always stay on the path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was being too tough on myself. We have tried in the past to allow ourselves a 10% cushion for less healthy items. It always turns into much more. Both the hubby and I decided we just had to stop. If it weren't for the cancer I know we wouldn't be so strict. We heard from the docs yesterday that our diet is playing a large part in keeping the disease in check.

    I am so glad I can inspire you to eat more healthy. Sharing what I had learned about nutrition and healthy cooking was a large part of why I started the blog. Every time I hear that someone else is inspired I gives me incentive to do more. Thanks for letting me know.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! Oooh. I love sweet and sour anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that things are looking good at the doc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rose that is very kind of you. I was really happy we had a good visit too. Send me an email if you ever want more details.

    Cancer is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I often wish that I had known more about nutrition before it started. But .... you can't go back so you do what you can today.

    I forgot to tell you the big news from yesterday. My husband's little man (the white cat "Nicco" caught the mouse). It was a big day for everyone. I was ready for the mouse to go away and he had totally settled in for the winter. So I guess I can't call the cats "pretty boys" anymore. They earned their keep yesterday.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...