Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pizza and Cat-ions

We're studying cation exchange in my Soils Science class at the moment. For those of you who are chemistry-savvy (probably most people), you'll laugh when I say that I thought the word 'cation' was pronounced with a soft 't' like this 'kay-shun'. After demonstrating my ignorance many times, someone kindly informed me that this word 'cation' is pronounced like two separate words: cat-ion.

How cute is that? It makes me think of kitty cats--I want to use this word all the time now. So, that's why I had to work it into this post. I've also learned that cat-ions are positively charged, kind of like all the cool, positively charged vegans out there in the blogosphere. I was thinking of changing my blog title to something like Cat-ion Vegan: Positively Charged and Positively Vegan. But, maybe that's going a bit too far, especially considering that it might lead people to think that I actually know something about chemistry, which I don't.

So anyway, now for something completely different: pizza, of course.

This was a delicata squash and cherry tomato pizza with slivered garlic, olive oil, and fresh rosemary.

Below, is a sweetcorn, mushroom, and red onion pizza with tomato sauce and some green olive tapenade on top. I wanted to do this pizza with pesto instead of tomato sauce. I took some pesto out of the freezer and defrosted it, but it tasted awful. It must have gotten freezer burn or something. I'm glad I tasted it before spreading it on the dough.

Apologies for the eerie photos; it's always dark by the time we make dinner and the indoor lights cast a yellow hue. I'm crap at photos anyway;)

Ciao for now.

4 comments:

  1. Pizza yum! Both versions sound great. I need to make pizza here soon. We love pizza and I don't make it that often.

    BTW, I loved the "cation" part of your post. That was adorable. And ... you are not alone on your lack of chemistry knowledge. Unless it is related to cancer and nutrition I am clueless. In fact my lack of chemistry education is my single biggest college regret. If I had any idea I would have needed it later I definitely would have take a chem class.

    My husband and I were talking about chemisty earlier in the week. I am thinking about taking a college chem class since I think it would be very useful given the sorts of books I read now. We will see if I can work it into my schedule.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chemistry class sounds like a great idea and I'm sure it will enhance your already well-developed understanding of health and nutrition. If you take the class, be sure and dazzle them with the proper pronunciation of cat-ion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the giggle. The proper pronounciation comment made me laugh out loud. I love your sense of humor!

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pizzas look really delicious. I like the way you photograph things.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...