Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Twice-baked Potatoes & Baked Bean Dinner


This was a filling and enjoyable dinner. Served up with cole slaw and some of the local sweet corn still lingering in the farmers' market.

All you have to do for the potatoes is bake the potatoes until tender, scoop out the middle and make some yummy mash. Stuff the jackets with the mash and put them back in the oven to get golden on top. I made two kinds of mash: one colcannon mash with green onion and cabbage, and the other with carmelized red onion with bleu-cheese style soy cheeze and a spash of balsamic vinegar.

I wanted to use maple syrup for the beans but I was out, so I used agave instead. I par-cooked the beans and then drained off all but 1/2 cup of water before mixing in the rest of the ingredients. I tossed in the oven and it baked for about 1 hour at 375 degrees.

Here's what I put in:

3 cups baby lima beans (3/4 of the way cooked)
1 large onion, diced
3 tablespoons molasses
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tablespoon vegan worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup agave nectar
1/8 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup of the bean cooking water
salt and pepper to taste

9 comments:

  1. Dinner sounds really good Rose. I really like that you made two variations of stuffed potatoes. I never think to do that, but it makes so much sense.

    BTW, I am now half way through the book you recommended. It is helping to validate my views on food and nutrition. Thank you so much for recommending it. As long as I stay home I should be finished reading it tomorrow or Friday.

    thanks again,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a nice looking plate of food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... do you take guests for baked potato night??? :)

    YUM! Happy MoFo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay I-F & For the Love of Guava,

    Thanks for your nice comments. I know my picture taking skills are lacking, so thanks for using your imagination to fill in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm... are you kidding?? everything looks delicious to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alicia,

    Dinner was good, but now that you're reading NBSA, it's making me remember a lot of the guidelines in there for good nutrition that I don't always do such a great job of following...I do want to start eating more raw and very lightly cooked meals...it wouldn't be difficult for me, but...my hubby has his picky moments.

    Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the book. It's one of my favorite non-fiction books. I think I'll be rereading it soon for re-born inspiration.

    I wonder if you are having the same experience...when I got about half way through, I started feeling a little depressed about how toxic everything is.

    But overall, that book has changed the the choices I make on a daily basis to a large degree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose,

    The book is a little discouraging, but at the same time empowering. Most of the time I make good choices for the hubby and myself. We do eat a little more whole wheat flour than I would like.

    Also we should eat more raw food. I am working on that but it is so tough when it is cold outside. My compromise is a minimum of two big salads a day which I think is a reasonable start.

    I can definitely see this will be a book that I will read more than once. Thanks so much for recommending it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose,

    The book is depressing and empowering at the same time. I think the author does a good job of explaining the problems and alternatives in easy to read language.

    We still eat more whole flour than we should, but I am working on reducing it. Also we need to eat more raw veg. But, who wants raw food when the temperature doesn't make it to 60 all day? My compromise is that we eat at least two big salads a day plus a fruit smoothie. If you have any other ideas please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks again for recommending the book. I can already tell it is one I will read over and over again.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rose,

    Sorry for the duplicate post. Blogger was acting up and I didn't think the first comment went through (apparently I was wrong).

    Your comment prompted me to go into the kitchen and make a "blended salad". AKA, raw veg in the blender. I decided I needed more raw veg. I will post the ingredients and nutritional stats in a few minutes.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...